Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cyworld

I finally set up a cyworld account!
Cyworld is like myspace or facebook (sort of). It's a social networking site that connects people within South Korea. You can write about yourself (profile), keep a diary/blog, customize your "hompy" (home page) with your own music, add photo albums (they even have a few photoshop functions to edit your pictures), make and dress a mini-me, decorate a room using coins you earn, and message other friends. It is common for Korean socialites and celebrities to have their own account and you can add them as a friend. "Reports show that as much as 90 percent of South Koreans in their 20's and 25% of the total population of South Korea are registered users of Cyworld."

Apparently, only residents of Korea are allowed to make an account (though, somehow, I believe there are instructions for foreigners, too). You have to give them a picture of identification when you sign up. I got to use my alien registration card. I made an account so that I could get pictures off the KUBA cyworld account. It's seems so complicated and takes me forever to navigate anywhere because everything is in Korean. I have to open a free translator page and copy and paste everything before clicking. Btw, there is also a US cyworld, but it's not at all related to the Korean cyworld. My roomie helped me find and add my KUBA buddy so I saved a few pictures =)

From the welcoming party: Group 8 + others
And in front of the dean's office during orientation:

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nat!

    AWESOME PICTURES!!! i love the lotte world pics...i cant wait till i go der myself! haha hope ur doing great in school too! i no i wont...yeah..i think ill stick with VACATION ONLY whenever i g2 korea haha.
    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...i have the US cyworld..i mean the foreigners Cyworld...well i saw my korean friend's cyworld...it was totally different from mine's..(not much of a use...)..!!!hehe^_^

    ReplyDelete